So when I hear 100th day, I think of the celebration they do in school. Our 100th day was Tuesday, and at first, I was in no way looking at it as a celebration. Then, I DECIDED to change my perspective.
Brinnlie has reached her 100th day of LIFE here on earth, and although she has spent all that time in the NICU, this in itself is miraculous! She is miraculous! We are So thankful for all that has transpired and for all of you out there for helping us reach this milestone. I have tears running down my face thinking about how much everyone all around cares and has been rooting for our little girl, thank you!
Brinnlie is doing great! She has started eating from a bottle and is quickly learning how it works, to suck, swallow, and breathe all collectively. Last night she took her full feeds from it, I fed her :), and did it two feedings in a row! Her orders are to only try twice a shift to bottle feed and only give her what she tolerates. So to do it twice in row and full feeds both times, is huge! Although her oxygen saturations were up and down throughout the process, this is a big step in the right direction to home, and as she gets the hang of it better, she should be able to maintain her saturation levels better too.
As of last night her weight was 1560 grams, 3 lbs. 7 oz. She is 36 cm long, 14 inches. X-rays to come to check her legs, as well as to see if there are any new fractures, and how well her bones look overall. The next ‘big’ concern we have are her eyes. 2 weeks ago they thought that that following week she would most likely have to have surgery on them, but that next exam showed no change, so surgery avoided. But, she has a follow-up exam today and we’re waiting to hear the findings. So, she may have to undergo laser surgery to ‘zap’ the ‘gnarly’ vessels to allow good growth of the healthy ones. It’s called ROP (retinopathy of prematurity) and in short, if not regulated, can cause blindness. Here is a link for more info if you’re curious: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001618.htm#Definition
So, we pray that if surgery is necessary, all will go well and Brinnlie will have only minor issues, if any at all. Having gone this long with not needing surgery is another feet at its best.
As we celebrate our 100 days of LIFE, we celebrate the hundreds of miraculous happenings we have endured and thank all, especially our Father, who has ‘His own plan for us’.
A NEW PERSPECTIVE
By Helen Steiner Rice
Sometimes the things
that seem the worst
Turn out to be the best,
So think of this as just a time
to get a little rest.
And while we cannot understand
Why things happen as they do,
The one who hangs
the rainbow out
Has His own plans for you.
"Sometimes God calms the storm...
Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child."
(Thanks to a fellow NICU baby family for the quotes)
3 comments:
Hey Shelly, reading over the ups and downs of your NICU journey brings back many emotions and memories. I wish you and your little one the best and know that if you ever need to talk with someone who has been there don't hesitate to get in touch. TanyaLayne@hotmail.com
~Tanya
(Jonah's Mom)
Loved the poem, I may steal it for my sister-in-law's blog! I love, LOVE that you got to feed Brinnlie! YAY!
I remember Noahs 100th day in the NICU, that day felt like a huge brick being thrown at me! I remember thinking I can't believe we have made it 100 days. But it wasn't long after that we were headed home. You are amazing! Keep up the good work Brinnlie!
Post a Comment