Sunday, September 19, 2010

What’s Next?

First off, let me apologize for being such a negative Nelly the last post about Brinnlie.  Some days I just get overwhelmed by the just of everything, and it helps to “let it out”.  Thank you to everyone who left words of encouragement.  Your words and prayers are felt and help so much…we’ll get there, but I'm not guaranteeing that you’ve heard the last of some ranting.

 

So, what have we heard since then?  They weaned Brinnlie off the nitric oxide for a day and got another echo.  It showed slight improvement but not enough to say goodbye to the nitric.  As of yesterday, she was on 5 ppm of nitric and increasing dose of Viagra.  They are going to slowly increase the dosage of Viagra for a couple days then do an echo to check her PH gradient and go from there.  If there is improvement they will go down by 1 on the nitric ppm, then again, slowly increase her dosage of Viagra, then echo, then wean by one, etc., until the nitric is gone.  Given her history of weaning from the nitric, they decided to take it real slowly this time and let her body adjust for a time between weanings, hoping that her ‘receptors’ in her lungs will take to the Viagra and not so much to the nitric.  So, it’s going to be a more slow transition and will be longer on the coming home bit.  Once they have her dosage stable and her PH is responding, they will begin to focus on her feeds.  She has been doing well with the 15 cc’s she gets every three hours, so they may begin to increase this slowly too.  They don’t want to push her too much and cause her stress, which would increase the strain on her heart.  We’ve got a longer haul ahead of us than what we’ve anticipated the last little while, it’s frustrating and hard, but she’s where she needs to be at this time receiving the needed attention that in the long run will have her stay home once she comes home.  The answer we’ll give to those who ask when?  Thanksgiving?  It’s easier to get into the mind set of longer than sooner.  For now, we’ll get through the week and pray that she will respond to the Viagra and see progress with her PH.

Yesterday, Trevor and I got to go down in the afternoon and stay for a couple of hours.  It was bliss!  She had just got done with cares, was lying in her bed, cooing and grinning at her mobile…we began talking and playing with her and she just smiled ear to ear.  She’s such a little baby!  I told a sister today at church and she said she’s our baby that just lives at a different address…she’s just hanging out till they give her the go ahead to go.  I tried to give her her bottle, but she was too tired and just cuddled up to my chest, fell asleep and stayed there for the entire time we visited.  Although she slept through our visit, I loved every minute of it!  If only they had recliners at the bedside, I would have loved to just nap along with her as I did with her siblings when they were that ‘big’.  I say ‘big’ ‘cause she’s at 9 and a half pounds and I have to bring some bigger size clothes next time, she’s growing fast still and is still a nosey neighbor.  The other day a baby came across from her and her nurse said that Brinnlie had to be up watching what was going on or else she cried!  I think she feels that it’s her place and has to know what’s going on with everyone’s comings and goings.  She loves to sit in her boppy and see everyone and gives them a cheeser when given attention.  I just love her.

100_2500 100_2497 100_2498 100_2499

And, she has Great-Grandpa Jarrett’s dimples!

(Of course, when the camera comes out, her cheeser isn’t as great as it really is!)

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

I'm so glad you posted pictures this time. She's getting so BIG, I can't believe it! She definitly belongs to you guys, she looks just like your kids! She's beautiful....You're doing great Shelly and if there is anything you need please ask. Now that I have some kids in school I'd love to have Broxton and Macie (is she 1/2 day?) over so you can go to SLC.

bob said...

So great to see more pics of brinnlie! what a big girl! and she looks SO MUCH like your other kids!
how fun!! keep it up! you are truly an inspiration for me! i'm available as a babysitter any time shelly!!

Tina said...

I am in awe of how beautiful she is...what a doll! Shelly, you and your family are such an inspiration. I can't even imagine how hard it must be each and every day...I know how I felt passing day 100 in the NICU and its remarkable to me that you haven't had a mental breakdown by now! Be blessed...

Karen said...

I'm so glad to see the recent pictures of Brinnlie - she is a beautiful baby! My prayers are always with you!

Karen

Lovin Life Together said...

She is so dang cute. I'm so glad you got to share that special time with her!!

Shawna said...

Love, love, love the pictures!

Jimi said...

OMG!! What a beautiful little blessing Brinnlie has become. I am not too sure if you remember me (Greyson's mom) from parent night when your little blessing was just welcomed to the world but it was the night we (Tina included) sat in a room where we all knew how each was feeling. A night that blessed me with never ending friendships and wonders. I have kept Brinnlie in my mind all these months and have been thankful for updates from Tina. I could only imagine what she looked like, but it was nothing close to what she truly has become. She is a doll and getting so big!I have read your posting clear back to when your Brinnlie was born which was so close to Greyson's DOB (2-12). It is amazing how far they have come! I look forward to watching her grow and celebrating the day she comes home.
We too have a family blog, jjnewkirkfamily@blogspot.com, but I am slacking BIG time on it. We moved in August, then school started....on I could go on about what has taken my time over blogging....I will soon get it updated and new pictures of Greyson!! God Bless you and it is great to find you and your family!!

The Huffies said...

you guys, she is so cute! I'm glad she continues to take little "baby steps" and I pray for her to come home very quickly! Take care, we'll be praying for your little family.