Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Happenings

For Christmas this year, our events started with Gunnar and Macie's Christmas program for pre-school. They sang lots of songs and then Santa came. They were really excited to sing, Gunnar especially loves music and singing. It was great to see and hear him through the program. Macie was more interested in the kids around her than singing much, but it was still fun to watch her. Here are a couple of pictures.
(Sorry, my camera isn't very fancy so the kids all look like they are possessed)
This is singing Once There Was a Snowman, they got to hold the pictures.
Macie was totally into sitting on Santa's lap. Gunnar, however, just wanted the candycane.
After the kids' program, we headed to Logan for the USU vs. Utah game. I didn't feel like fighting three kids through the game, so I dropped Trevor & Gunnar off and Macie, Broxton & I went to Wendy's to eat. I did have a plan to stop at a couple other places for last minute stuff, but, yeah, it took the entire time to eat at Wendy's. We waited in line for at least 25 minutes, then 10 more for our food, then eating with two kids...I know, you're wondering why I would stay and wait...Imagine though, cold outside and buckling carseats, driving to another "Macie approved" restaurant and then waiting some more, eating, then out to the cold again, more buckling etc...hope you get the picture. In my mind I reasoned the stay :) So after eating, we headed back up Old Main, catching the end of the game on the radio and picked up the boys. Seemed like a good game to have watched, but oh well, at least USU won.
Tuesday nite we headed to Trevor's parents' house for our Gardner fun. We had pizza and opened presents and played some games. It was great to have everyone there. Cameron came from CA and they all had a great time.
Christmas Eve tradition places us at Trevor's grandparents Jarrett's house. We always eat wonderful food, then head downstairs for the annual Christmas program. This year, Grandpa Jarrett handed out little questions to get to know some of the family and things they remembered or some things about themselves. It was fun to hear some memories and stories of the aunts and uncles childhood. Each year they have a talent portion of the program and this year Gunnar and Macie sang Jingle Bells. We were impressed because we didn't think they would do it once they got in front of everyone, but they were great! (I wish I had gotten a video camera this year) Chet read the Christmas story from the Bible as the 'little ones' dressed the parts. Macie wanted to wear her princess dress from Halloween to be an angel, but ended playing the part of Mary. She held her cousin Jocelyn for a little bit, but then wasn't interested. Gunnar and Broxton were shepherds and to our surprise Gunnar kept his 'headwrap' on and stood in the group for a while...Broxton not so much. I did manage to get a quick picture before he tore it off.
Macie and her uncle Chet
Shepherd Gunnar
Broxton and his dad (notice dad holding the arms so I could get the pic)
Jarrett 'little ones'
(Averie, Gunnar, Logan, Kaylee, Kaden, (f) Macie w/Jocelyn, Easton)
It's great to see everyone every year and to have the Spirit of Christmas near.
Christmas morning Trevor and I were awakened by Gunnar climbing on the bed, "Mom, Santa came!". Us Not moving, Gunnar took his excitement to Macie. we hear "Macie, guess what?" You can imagine him trying to wake her. "Macie, Santa brought lots of presents!" Now we hear both of them run to the living room. Macie: "Wow Gunnar, that's a lot of presents!" At this, we climbed out of bed, grabbed Broxton, and headed for the living room. After family prayer and thanks to Santa, they went at it.
Broxton and his ball popper. He also got a fun tool/shape set.
Macie was really excited about her chapstick. She also got a baby cabbage patch doll, some ponies, a barbie, a big magna doodle, and some clothes.
Gunnar was SO excited for his 'big' tonka backhoe. He also got a magna doodle, and a fun play guitar. Santa also brought lots of fun games too.
As for Trevor and me, he gave me a cell phone (because I am the last person on earth without one), and I gave him a Brett Favre Jets jersey. All in all I say we made a pretty good haul this year. To this I am very grateful and know we are truly blessed to have each other and the things we have.
Oh yeah, our dog Sienna ran away Christmas morning and was gone all day. Luckily, our kind neighbors up the road (3/4 mile) called and had found her. We ate lunch at Grandma Gardner's next door and all gathered to watch her open her gifts. It was fun to see all the Gardner's too.
Christmas nite we headed to my parents house for dinner. We ate more good food, opened presents, then just sat around and visited. Steph and her family were there and the kids all had fun with each other.
Sydney, Macie, & Gunnar getting ready for "the slumber party"


We were talking about having a slumber party at my parents house 'cause by that time the big snow storm had hit and the roads were packed with snow. we ultimately decided to go home around 9:15/9:30. It took us 'til 10:45 to get home, we went through Willard, Perry, and Brigham, then followed the highway to Honeyville. It was slow, but we made it. Getting up our driveway was a whole other story though. We got stuck at the bottom and we had to push the van out, then parked at Grandma Gardner's while Trevor ran to get the tractor to blade the driveway. It was taking forever because he had to blade the farm roads to even get to us...all the kids were asleep in the van and finally I decided not to wait anymore. One by one, bundled in their blankets from my mom, I waded through the drifts and blowing snow with each one in my arms and into our house. It was a good experience for me because I thought about the pioneers and the Martin's Cove experience that Trevor and I had this past summer with the youth. I thought that this was bad, but what about the moms carrying their children in freezing temperatures, snow to their waists and howling/blowing wind, ultimately some not ever coming to a warm house...how blessed we are, and how grateful I am for the strength of our ancestors.

This Christmas season has been a good one and for the Spirit that has dwelt within our home and family, I am truly thankful. We tried to emphasize the birth of Christ this year with the kids, and though they are small, I know they too feel His presence and are continuing to understand the importance of the Savior and His gifts to each of us. I pray we can all have this Spirit in the year to come and remember each day, the reason for all seasons.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
Oh yeah, Broxton is WALKING!!!!

3 comments:

Lovin Life Together said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas. I'm with you, I'm glad we have our nice warm houses to live in and that we live now and not then, despite our challenges. We are so blessed.

Ashlee said...

OHH, It makes me sad we weren't there. Next year!
Looks like you guys all had fun. Zhoee loved their preschool program, too! FUN

S Jaszy77 said...

It looks like you all had a lot of fun! I wish our family did more with the spiritual part of Christmas. You made me realize I need to figure out how my family can focus more on that this coming year. Oh and I love the new header, what are you using to make them? Love & miss you!